If you are installing a Stang Shifter Gaskets shifter gasket set with an aftermarket shifter, the shifter manufacturer normally provides detailed installation instructions. If you are installing just the shifter gasket set and/or don't have shifter removal instructions, doing the install on a Mustang is fairly simple and straightforward. The instructions below for the 2001 Cobra (TR-3650) is very similar to the 2003-2004 Cobra (T-56) and other Mustangs with a T-5/T-45, TKO500/600 or TR-3550 TKO transmission. The whole install from start to finish should take from 20-30 minutes depending on your skill level and experience with removing and installing shifters. I have average mechanical ability and it took me 30 minutes to install my first shifter on a 2003 Cobra, and 20 minutes the second time.
I also have an MT-82 (2011-2014 Mustang GT/V6/Boss 302) installation video done by CJ Pony Parts showing the install of a Barton shifter.
Installation on the Camaro is also very straightforward and similar to the Mustang.
The 2004-2006 GTO is a little more involved but not overwhelming. The GTO installation instructions are quite detailed and should help those removing/re-installing the GTO shifter for the first time.
2004-2006 GTO Installation
If you have a 2004-2006 GTO T-56 application, CLICK HERE for installation instructions. They are for a Billet Products Pro Shifter but the instructions are the same for any GTO manual shifter.
2011-2014 MT-82 Mustang Installation
Here is an excellent installation video for the 2011-2014 Mustang GT/V6/Boss 302 equipped with the MT-82 transmission. The instructions can be applied to any MT-82 shifter except the MGW shifter. CLICK HERE to view an installation video on the CJ Pony Parts website showing the steps for removing the stock shifter and installing a Barton shifter. The instructions are pretty much the same for any shifter for these MT-82 equipped models except the MGW shifter.
2001 Mustang Cobra (TR-3650) Installation
In this how-to, you will see the process of installing a Stang Shifter Gaskets shifter gasket kit on a 2001 Mustang Cobra with a TR-3650 transmission.
Installation Time: 20-30 minutes (average mechanical skill and experience levels)
Tools & Supplies Needed:
• Small pick or mini flathead screwdriver
• 8" extension
• 8mm socket
• 13mm socket
• 1/4" swivel
• Blue Threadlocker
• Razor blade
• 3M red scuff pad or similar
• Brake cleaner or degreaser
• WD40 or rust remover
• Rubber mallet (optional for tapping shifter handle, if necessary)
Photo of TR-3650 Stang Shifter Gasket shifter gaskets (base & handle).
is what you will be removing.
by removing your shift knob (turn counter clockwise) and remove the
cigarette lighter. Pull up on the bottom and the tabs should release,
allowing forward movement. Disconnect the forward clips.
3. At this point you will not be able to remove fully until you disconnect the electrical plug on the lighter.
4. You will see in the photo the orange tab that will have to be pushed in for the clip to release. I used a small pick to apply pressure while pulling out. A mini flathead screwdriver can be also used.
5. Here is the connector view once removed.
6. In this photo you will see the shifter cover plate and the four 8mm bolts that retain it. To remove the bolts you may need to crack them loose (turn counter clockwise) by spraying a little rust penetrator or WD-40 spray to allow them to come out fully.
7. Once the bolts are removed, the cover plate will need to be pushed to the driver side and lifted on the passenger side of the cover to come out.
8. Removing the cover plate.
9. View of the shifter with plate removed.
10. Start by
loosening the two 13mm bolts holding the shifter handle to the shifter base.
NOTE: If you have a 1-piece handle,
bypass these next steps and move to Step 12.
chose to take the bolts out the rest of the way by hand so that I wouldn't
drop any washers or bolts. The is the handle removed.
12. The rubber boot will just pull up. Just set it to the side to be cleaned. You will also notice the four 13mm bolts holding down the shifter base. Place transmission into neutral, and then loosen and remove all four bolts.
13. The shifter may require a little force to be removed, due to the old dried-out silicone sealer holding it to the transmission mounting plate. Usually a strong tap to the side of the shifter handle base will pop the shifter loose. A rubber mallet can also be used to tap the side of the handle. Once the shifter is removed, make sure a rag is available to keep any fluid from getting onto the console, carpet or seats.
a razor blade to scrape off the old silicone sealer.
15. After scraping off most of the silicone sealer, you can remove any remnants of sealer by using the 3M scuff pad.
16. This is how it
should look when finished up.
17. Use a razor blade to remove the old
silicone sealer from the transmission mounting plate. Scrape towards the
outside edges to keep debris from getting into the reservoir. A rag may be
stuffed into the reservoir for this. Finish this step by using the 3M scuff
pad to remove any remaining silicone sealer.
is how it should look after using the scuff pad.
19. Now start the Stang Shifter Gaskets shifter base gasket install. Place the shifter base gasket onto the transmission shifter mounting plate and be sure all holes line up with the gasket in a squared-up position. On the TR-3650, T-5 and T-45, it will only line up one way, so it may take you a couple of turns and flips to get it properly positioned. Positioning is easier on other applications such as the 2003-2004 Cobra T-56.
the shifter onto the base gasket being careful to line up the holes. To
ensure that the bolts stay tight, apply a bit of
Blue Threadlocker on the bolt threads to prevent them from loosening over
time due to vibration.
21. Tighten down the four bolts in an 'X' pattern until very snug. Be careful not to allow the gasket to push outward too much on the sides while tightening. You may have to use your fingers to keep the gasket in place during the tightening process. If after tightening the gasket, material is pushing outward or is deformed, you have overtightened the bolts.
the handle cleaned up, install the top bolt and handle gasket. Be sure to
apply a bit of Blue Threadlocker on the threads to
prevent the bolt from loosening
over time due to vibration.
Install the other bolt and loosely screw both
in by hand, and then fully tighten.
Be sure to put a bit of
Blue Threadlocker on the threads to prevent the bolt from
over time due to vibration.
the rubber shift boot over the shifter base.
25. Reinstall the cover plate, and tighten down the four 8mm bolts in an 'X' pattern.
26. Re-install the cigarette clip.
place the shifter handle through the opening, and then clip down cover into
place to keep the handle from ripping through the boot.
28. Re-install the shifter knob and lighter, and you're done!
Please note that you installed a new shifter, it may be initially stiff when you shift gears, due to the higher quality springs used compared to the factory shifter. This is normal. The springs will loosen up with 100-200 miles of driving.